Many of Andrea's articles and book chapters are downloadable here; however articles and chapters that are in press are not currently available online. Please contact her if you would like a copy of any of these articles, and please check back regularly because articles in the pipe and in press will be put online shortly after they have been accepted for publication.
Publications on methodology and epistemology | Publications on gender and care, fathering and mothering | Publications on parental leave and father-focused policies
Publications on methodology and epistemology
- Doucet, A. and Mauthner, N.S. (in press, 2011) “Emotions in/and Knowing” in Hunt, Alan, Walby, Kevin and Dale Spencer (Eds.) Emotions Matter. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Mauthner , N.S. and Doucet, A. (June 2008) 'Knowledge once divided can be hard to put together again': an epistemological critique of collaborative and team-based research practices' (pdf) . Sociology (Special issue on research relationships).
- Doucet, A. (2008) ’On the other side of Gossamer Walls’: Reflexive and Relational Knowing (pdf). Qualitative Sociology.
- Doucet, A. and Mauthner, N.S. (2008) 'What can be Known and How? Narrated Subjects and the Listening Guide' (pdf). Qualitative Research (Special issue on narrative methodology).
- Doucet, A. and Mauthner, N. S. (2007) “Feminist approaches to Qualitative Interviews” in Pertti Alasuutari, Julia Brannen and Leonard Bickman (Eds). Handbook of Social Research Methods. London : Sage.
- Mauthner, N. S and Doucet, A. (2007) “Reflexive Accounts and Accounts of Reflexivity in Qualitative Data Analysis” (reprinted article from original published in 2003 in Sociology). In Alan Bryman (Ed.) Qualitative Research 2. London : Sage. (This is part of the SAGE Benchmark in Social Research Methods series; as described by the editors, “it is intended to be a benchmark collection of key articles by leading figures in the field”).
- Doucet, A. and Mauthner N. S. (2006) Feminist methodologies and epistemologies (pdf) in Clifton D. Bryant and Dennis L. Peck (Eds.) Handbook of 21st Century Sociology. Thousand Oaks , CA : Sage).
- Mauthner, N. and Doucet, A. (2003) Reflexive accounts and accounts of reflexivity in qualitative data analysis (pdf), Sociology 37 (3): 413-431.
- Doucet, A. and Mauthner, N. (2002) Knowing responsibly: Ethics, Feminist Epistemologies and Methodologies (pdf), in M. Mauthner, M. Birch, J. Jessop and T. Miller (eds.), Ethics in Qualitative Research. London : Sage; 123-145.
- Mauthner , N.S. and Doucet, A. (1998) Reflections on a Voice-Centred Relational Method of Data Analysis: Analysing Maternal and Domestic Voices (pdf), in Jane Ribbens and Rosalind Edwards (eds.), Feminist Dilemmas in Qualitative Research: Private Lives and Public Texts. London : Sage; pp. 119-144.
Publications on gender and care, fathering and mothering
- Doucet, A. (2009) “Dad and Baby in the First Year: Gendered Responsibilities and Embodiment”. The Annals of the Political and Social Sciences.
- Doucet, A. (2009) “Gender Equality and Gender Differences: Parenting, Habitus and Embodiment”, Canadian Review of Sociology, 48 (2), 99-117.
- Doucet, A. (in press, forthcoming, 2010) “What Impedes Fathers’ Participation in Care Work: Theorizing the Community as an Institutional Arena.” in Catherine Krull and Justyna Sempruch (Eds) Demystifying the Family/Work Contradiction: Challenges and Possibilities. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- Doucet, A. (in press, forthcoming, 2010) “Taking off the Maternal Lens: Engaging with Sarah Ruddick on Men and Mothering” in Andrea O’Reilly (Ed) Motherhood at the 21st Century: Policy, Experience, Identity, Agency . Newcastle upon Tyne , UK : Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Doucet, A. (in press, forthcoming, 2010) “Paid and Unpaid Work: Linking Households, Workplaces, the State, and Communities.” in David Cheal (Ed) New Canadian Families (2nd Edition). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Doucet, A. (in press, forthcoming, 2010) “Fathers and Fathering.” in A. O’Reilly and J. Golson (Eds) Encyclopedia of Motherhood . Sage Publications.
- Doucet, A. and Merla, L. (2007) Stay-at Home-Fathering: A Strategy for Balancing work and Home in Canadian and Belgian Families (pdf) Community, Work and Family, 10 (4), 453-471.
- Doucet, A. (2007) “Fathering/Fatherhood” in Michael Flood, Judith Kegan Gardiner, Bob Pease and Keith Pringle (Eds.) Routledge International Encyclopedia of Men and Masculinities. London and New York : Routledge.
- Doucet, A. (2007) “Families and Work ” in David Cheal (Ed.) Canadian Families Today: New Perspectives. Don Mills and Oxford : Oxford University Press.
- Doucet, A. (2006) ’Estrogen-filled worlds’: Fathers as primary caregivers and embodiment (pdf), The Sociological Review 23 (4) 695-715.
- Doucet, A. (2005) 'It’s almost like I have a job, but I don’t get paid': Fathers at home reconfiguring work, care, and community (pdf), Fathering: A Journal of Theory, Research, and Practice about Men as Fathers, 2 (3): 277-303.
- Doucet, A. (2004) Fathers and the Responsibility for Children: A Puzzle and a Tension (pdf). Atlantis: A Women’s Studies Journal (Special issue on the politics of unpaid work), 28 (2): 103-114.
- Doucet, A. (2001) “Can Sons Grow Into Mothers? Maternal Thinking and Fathers’ Reflections”, in Andrea O'Reilly (ed.), Mothers and Sons: Feminist Perspectives. London : Routledge.
- Doucet, A. (2001) 'You See the Need Perhaps More Clearly Than I Have': Exploring Gendered Processes of Domestic Responsibility (pdf), Journal of Family Issues, 22 (3): 328-357.
- Doucet, A. (2000) 'There's a Huge Difference Between Me as a Male Carer and Women': Gender, Domestic Responsibility, and the Community as an Institutional Arena (pdf), Community Work and Family, 3 (2), 163-184.
- Doucet, A. and Dunne, G. A. (2000) Heterosexual and Lesbian Mothers Challenging ‘Feminine’ and ‘Male’ Conceptions of Mothering (pdf), in Andrea O’Reilly and Saron Abbey (eds.), Mothers and Daughters: Connection, Empowerment and Transformation. Rowman and Littlefield; pp. 103-120.
- Doucet, A. (1998) Interpreting Mother-Work: Linking Ontology, Theory, Methodology and Personal Biography (pdf), Canadian Woman Studies (18), pp. 52-58.
- Doucet, A. (1996) “Encouraging Voices: Towards More Creative Methods for Collecting Data on Gender and Household Labour”, in Lydia Morris and Stina Lyon (eds.) Gender Relations in the Public and the Private. London : Macmillan; pp. 156-173.
- Doucet, A. (1995) Gender Equality and Gender Differences in Household Work and Parenting (pdf), Women's Studies International Forum 18 (3), pp. 271-284.
parental leave and father-focused policies
- Doucet, A. McKay, L. and Tremblay, D-G. (2009) "Parental Leave Policy in Canada" in Peter Moss and Sheila Kammerman, The Politics of Parental Leave Policies: Children, Parenting, Gender and the Labour Market. Bristol , UK , Policy Press.
- Doucet, A. and Tremblay, D.G. (2006) "Leave Policy and Research: Canada" in P. Moss and M. O’Brien (Eds.) International Review of Leave Policies and Related Research. London : Department of Trade and Industry Research Series, 57.
- Bader, E. and Doucet, A. (2005) "Canadian Community Organizations & New Fathers: A Report of the New Fathers Cluster of the Father Involvement Research Alliance (FIRA)." FIRA-CURA Project: University of Guelph.
- Doucet, A. and Tremblay, D-G. (2005) Leave Policies and Research: Canada (pdf), in F. Deven & P. Moss (eds.) Leave Policies and Research. Reviews and Country Notes. (Working Paper 2005/3) Brussels : CBGS (Population and Family Study Centre).
- Back to top
- Andrea Doucet