Social Problems (49.311a)
As discussed in class, your oral presentations are evaluated on content,
organization and delivery. I have structured this evaluation sheet into
these three categories to provide clear feedback in terms of your
presentation. Areas for improvement are indicated with a mark next to
Oral Presentation Evaluation Sheet
Please feel free to discuss this evaluation with me during office hours.
Student name: _________________________________________
Overall mark out of 5.
- Clear objective or thesis stated.
- News item or issue summarized effectively.
- Social problem defined clearly in terms of social origin, definition
- Social problem analyzed in relation to key concept(s) from weekly
- Social problem and/or proposed solution(s) discussed in relation to
approaches and ideologies presented in Chapter 1 of text (e.g., enemy
blaming and interactional approach, manifest and latent effects, etc.).
- Questions answered in relation to class materials and readings.
- Notes prepared and/or obvious rehearsal.
- Provide set or "hook" for listeners.
- Listeners informed of key ideas to be discussed (i.e., structure).
- Use of discourse markers to maintain focus on key issues (e.g., "the
main idea is," "the second point I wish to make is," "In conclusion,"
- Provides closure for presentation by summarizing main point and link
- Clear enunciation of words and appropriate volume.
- Not read from script.
- Appropriate modulation of voice to maintain listeners' attention.
- Good use of eye contact with listeners.
- Audio/visual materials appropriate for presentation (e.g., amount, use
of, visibility, appearance, etc.)
- Delivered in assigned time (i.e., not too long or too short).
- Professional manner/appropriate for university class.
(Additional comments on back where required.)
Return to 49.311 Home Page